Five weeks later, the Chesapeake container ship was released

It took five weeks and three attempts, but around 7 a.m. Sunday, Ever Forward, a 1,095-foot container ship operated by the same company that had blocked the Suez Canal last year, was finally released into the Chesapeake Bay.

Carrying about 5,000 containers, the Ever Forward was en route from Baltimore to Norfolk, VA, when, according to the United States Coast Guard, it sank in the Gulf near the Craigill Channel on March 13.

“The initial report did not indicate any injuries, contamination or damage to the ship as a result of the grounding,” the agency said in a statement at the time. The ship, stranded about 20 miles southeast of Baltimore, is not blocking the channel, it added.

More than two weeks later, a week after dredging under the ship, the ship’s owner, along with the Coast Guard, the Maryland Department of the Environment and the Evergreen Marine Corporation, made the first attempt to re-float it. Their efforts have failed.

They tried again the next day, but the ship did not move.

The Coast Guard said in a statement on Sunday that the rescue squad wasn’t called for him.

On April 4, authorities announced a new plan: they would continue poly dredging to a depth of 43 feet and at the same time begin unloading Ever Forward’s vessels into barges that would bring them back to Baltimore.

Once the ship’s load is lightened, the tugs and pool barges will try to float again as authorities continue to monitor for contamination. A naval architect and rescue master will remotely track the ship’s stability.

The new strategy will take about two weeks, the Coast Guard said, offering “the best chance of successfully re-launching Ever Forward”.

Earlier on Sunday, attempts to retry the ship were finally successful, Coast Guard spokeswoman Petty Officer Third Class Brenna Senteno said by phone.

In a statement, the agency said it had removed 500 containers from the ship and dredged more than 200,000 cubic yards of material from the estuary bed, which would be used to reduce erosion on Poplar Island, a three-mile stretch of land. Chesapeake Bay.

The ship’s grounding is a “rare occurrence,” said Capt. David O’Connell, commander of the Coast Guard’s Maryland-National Capital Region. “The magnitude and complexity of this response was historic,” he added.

The Coast Guard will continue to investigate how the ship got stuck, Petty Officer Senteno said.

Ever Forward Ever Given, one of the largest container vessels in the world, sank about a year after it was separated from the Suez Canal, and sank six days later.

The Ever Given, which is about a quarter of a mile long, stuck on March 23, 2021, blocking a channel that is believed to handle about 10 percent of the world’s commercial maritime traffic.

At the time of the shipwreck, 367 ships were backed up, waiting to cross the canal. The accident was catastrophic for the shipping industry, with nearly 10 10 billion worth of trade frozen in a day.

In a statement, William Doyle, executive director of the Maryland Port Administration, described the release of Ever Forward as an “extraordinary team effort” that helped, saying “Easter Sunday in the Chesapeake Bay is about rising tides.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.