Electric vehicle data in France has never been seen before
The Watts d’Or trophy gives a novel alternative to make some statistics on the electrical automobile market in France Here’s what to recollect.
Our Watts d’Or trophy for Electric Car of the Year is now on observe, the jury’s vote is full, and the general public (you) now has a hand, or relatively a voice, to disclose their favorites till midnight on September 30.
By researching the documentary and compiling the data and options that allow us to record the nominees in the queen classes, resembling Electric Car of the Year, we have been in a position to crunch the numbers to give you some attention-grabbing statistics of actuality. The electrical automobile market in France. With a couple of surprises at occasions.
Here are some elements to maintain in thoughts that may change or affect the vote with out revealing them.
Data on manufacturers and international locations represented
Number of latest fashions launched in France and obtainable on the market to the general public between October 1, 2021 and September 30, 2022: 20
- Number of manufacturers represented: 14
- Number of variations or variants: 48, ie a median of two.4 variations per mannequin
- Most represented model: Mercedes (4 fashions)
- Number of French manufacturers: 2 (Renault and Citroen)
- Number of German Brands: 4 (Audi, BMW, Mercedes, VW)
- Number of American Brands: 1 (Tesla)
- Number of Korean Brands: 1 (Kia)
- Number of Chinese Brands: 1 (MG Motor)
- Number of Japanese Brands: 2 (Nissan and Toyota)
- Other Brands: 3
- Share of European manufacturers: 64%
It is attention-grabbing to notice that, opposite to what one may think at first look, the specter (or in any case verified) of China’s aggression isn’t but true. Only one Chinese model seems on this record, MG Motors, though 2 fashions have already been launched in the reference interval and shortly there are 4 100% electrical fashions if we embrace the MG4 which can arrive in European dealerships subsequent October. Watts d’Or reference interval (which explains why it does not seem there). In reality, outdated Europe doesn’t defend itself so badly in spite of everything, with a minimum of 9 out of 14 manufacturers. Also word that the most recent model of the Tesla Model Y isn’t included in the record, because it has not but been launched. And is not going to be launched in the reference interval because it ought to come subsequent December.
- The common WLTP vary of the 20 fashions and their 48 variations is 479.16 km
- Average 480 km
- The automobile with the shortest vary is the Citroen-Berlingo with a WLTP vary of 280 km.
- The Mercedes EQS is the most effective vary automobile with a WLTP vary of 712.5 km
The Mercedes EQS represents fairly a little bit of Mercedes’ efforts in the direction of effectivity – notably the numerous work on aerodynamics – significantly symbolized by the imaginative and prescient EQXX idea. On the opposite hand, the typical WLTP autonomy figures are relatively excessive, which is a shock. It’s a secure guess that if we had been to ask individuals in this matter, the reply would in all probability be someplace round 350-400 km, it appears to us. The vary data is the official data in line with the WLTP commonplace for mixed street and motorway use. Most of the time, two figures are indicated on the producer’s web site, and we averaged the 2 to get the indicated determine.
- Average WLTP consumption throughout 20 fashions and their 48 variants is eighteen.02 kWh/100 km
- Average 17.25 kWh/100 km
- The lowest consumption automobile is Toyota bZ4X 2WD with 14.7 kWh/100 km
- The most gasoline environment friendly vehicle is the BMW iX M60 with 29.5 kWh/100 km
Again, many of the data is surprisingly affordable, however we all know that the WLTP commonplace is topic to warning and solely displays actuality in a really particular case of “eco-driving” driving.
Charging energy data
- The common charging energy of 20 fashions and their 48 variations is 148.5 kW
- Average 135 kW
- The automobile with the best theoretical charging capability is the Tesla Model Y Long Range at 250 kW.
- The vehicle with the bottom theoretical charging energy is the Kia Niro EV 2022 with 72 kW
We word that Tesla with its 400 volt structure continues to be forward in this rating, however the EV6 and its 800 volt Kia are very near the American model with 240 kW in its strongest model. To be extra exact, it was essential to measure the load curve, however working on about 50 automobiles was a really troublesome job. But this can be a long-term job that we accomplish in our Supertest.
- The common weight of the 20 fashions and their 48 variants is 2,108 kg
- Average 2,110 kg
- The heaviest automobile is the BMW iX M60 which weighs 2,659 kg
- The lightest automobile is the Megane E-TECH EV40 which weighs 1,513 kg
Measure that it hurts. And that is clearly an evil that has been recognized and documented because the existence of electrical automobiles. Do you need autonomy? So you may have greater batteries, therefore the burden. For the second, and whereas ready for know-how to enhance, we additionally need to work with about 2.7 tons of empty pachyderms.
- The common Cx of the 20 fashions and their 48 variances is 0.261
- Average is 0.26
- The automobile with the most effective Cx is the Mercedes EQS with 0.20
- The automobile with the bottom optimum Cx is the Volvo C40 Recharge Twin with 0.32
So after all Cx is not a related measure to really decide the aerodynamics, and due to this fact effectivity of a vehicle, sCx is a better measure to actuality. The drawback is, just about no producer gives this data. Furthermore, acquiring the Cx was already too lengthy and sophisticated, because it was a sign that not often appeared in technical sheets or brochures. So we glad ourselves with this to get an concept and no less than be capable to set up a comparability.
- Average worth of the 20 fashions and their 48 variants – deducting the ecology bonus if eligible – €65,384
- The common is €53,980
- The costliest automobile is the Mercedes EQS 53 with 4MATIC+ at €169,850
- The most cost-effective automobile is the MG5 at €26,990
Along with the burden, the worth stays the data that also sticks, an impression strengthened by this record of electrical automobiles launched through the reference interval. We word that MG is attacking the underside of the market with very aggressive costs, however in the top doesn’t essentially characterize the entire Chinese invasion, whose fashions will come to Europe (Xpeng, BYD, Nio, and so forth.) however relatively appears to focus on the center of the vary.
In different data collected, we additionally word this 31 of the 48 fashions are outfitted with a battery pre-conditioning system Before charging, and 36 gives an built-in route planner. There can be some progress to be made in this chapter, as we predict these two features needs to be a vital a part of electrical journey.
A short phrase to conclude in regards to the creators web site. Visiting them often to seek out out as a lot producer data as doable and checking them particularly in the previous few weeks, the final impression is an unsatisfactory person expertise, usually even painful and tiring. Obviously, in phrases of ergonomics and interface, the producers appear to favor the graphic and visible aspect to the detriment of simplicity, which typically results in confusion in phrases of navigation, to not point out the final heaviness.
On the opposite hand, plainly some producers have given themselves the phrase to make sure that the required data resembling AC and DC charging energy and particularly charging curves usually are not at all times clearly indicated. Instead we now have lovely animations of charging time simulations that may actually give a sign, however which are sometimes performed with idealized circumstances which can be hardly lifelike.
Although an effort has been made on the configurators, that are typically extra intuitive than they could initially be. However, fixed requests in the type of business pop-ups, chat home windows and different undesirable animations shortly grow to be annoying.
In a future article we’ll give you comparable figures with charging networks
PS: Some of the feedback on the article that began the general public vote lead us to imagine that some did not trouble to learn (or misinterpret) the detailed rationalization on the web page before the voting type. It is particularly indicated that the Watts d’Or supply is topic to automobiles launched and obtainable on the market in France between 01/10/2021 and 30/09/2022. So it’s pure that for instance Fiat 500 (launched earlier), MG4 (which can be launched later, in October 2022) or Tesla Model Y Propulsion (December 2022) usually are not included in this record. We invite you to learn these directions rigorously, the place every little thing is clearly acknowledged.